Sunday, March 20, 2011

Microsoft Access Database Project

Hi everyone,

      The Access Project was challenging and I learned several things about Access.  

       First of all,  Access is a flexible, easy to learn database.  The common Design View interface for tables, queries, forms, and reports is a nice feature.  I found myself fighting through the various icons and menus until I started to find my way around.   I had started the project by creating the requested database,  then somehow I created the Members table in a different database,  along with the query, report , and form.  I could not find a way the rename a database in Access.  I really didn’t think this was possible anyway.  The solution was to just import the objects from the default database into the correctly named database.  Once I did that, all was well.  Overall,  I wished I had learned Access prior to learning Oracle.   It would have been easier that way to be introduced to SQL.   

       Secondly,  I found the SQL View useful to check and ensure the query was selecting all the columns(fields) and the ‘group by’s and the ‘order by’s were there.

        I would do several things to improve this database.  I would add a field to the Members table for ‘email address’.   Then create a new query called ‘Birthday’ and select  the current members whose birthdays were soon approaching and then you could either mail them a birthday card or email a birthday greeting.  You could also use the email address to send announcements or special offers to current members.  If the Members table grew really large,  queries using the LastName field may benefit by an index.  

Thank you,
Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment